30 May 2014

Time to Get Serious

I really fell off the blogging bandwagon after Boston, didn't I? Life kind of got in the way... here's a quick update, and a promise of doing better!

I got back from Boston and realized that I had two weeks to find out where I was living.  You see, back at Christmas I had moved home with my parents because I had lost my job and wasn't really sure what my next step was.  I'd been looking for work and interviewing across the country for four months, but hadn't found anything.  When I moved home, I got a "for now" job, but continued looking.  I finally was able to start working again for my favorite hometown running store, and went full time in May, but that still won't really be enough to strike out on my own again - at least not right now.

So I found myself needing a roommate situation and fast!  Luckily, a friend and former co-worker had mentioned that I could move in with her if I needed to, so we talked about it, and I was able to move the week before my parents closed on their house.  Oh yeah, that's why I was having to move.  They, in their retirement, were finally downsizing, and moving to SOUTH CAROLINA!!  I'm very excited for them and their new adventure, but it was rough there for a minute dealing with all that chaos.

So I've been in my new place for almost a month, and it's a great location for getting to work.  I haven't had a chance to venture out in my neighborhood for a run, but we've got some great running options near work, and a coworker and I have been out on a couple short runs after work.  But I've lost my regular workout routine.  

And there's where the title of this post comes in - it's time to get serious about working out again.  Part of it is that I don't have anything major to train for.  I am running the BAA 10K in June and the Peachtree Road Race (10K) in July, but my big race (half-marathon) isn't until Space Coast, which is the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  I've talked about doing a Half Ironman this year, but haven't pulled the trigger on signing up, so I don't have the pressure to train for that just yet.  What I need to do is just get in a regular routine of running and doing some sort of strength training.  And finding a plan that fits with my not so regular work schedule.  I'd love to join the gym again, but it doesn't really fit into the budget at this time, so it's a matter of finding ways to workout that I can do at home.  I'm hoping to get back to it, and would love your help getting there!

How do you fit workouts into your schedule?  What sort of strength training routine do you do and is it something that can be done at home?

5 comments:

MJ said...

I get up really early most days, before 5am (sometimes before 430). And I add some workouts at lunch and evening. Trying to fit swimming/pool running back in but there's only so much time/energy.

Usually:
AM before work - core workouts (from Sage Rountree/Core & More yoga podcast and Lauren Fleshman's video on RunnersWorld), cardio (run on my tmill or bike on XT days), Wharton flexibility routine or brief yoga/stretch if time
At lunch on days in office - walk, elliptical or bike (may eventually run outside or on tmill)
At lunch on telework days - chiro appt (1/wk), lower leg strength exercises from chiro (squats, skaters, balance work)
After work M-F - Wharton flexibility routine, sometimes yoga

Sat - long run, Wharton at some point
Sun - run, Wharton at some point, maybe longer yoga from Sage Rountree DVD or her online classes through yogavibes

MJ said...

I get up really early most days, before 5am (sometimes before 430). And I add some workouts at lunch and evening. Trying to fit swimming/pool running back in but there's only so much time/energy.

Usually:
AM before work - core workouts (from Sage Rountree/Core & More yoga podcast and Lauren Fleshman's video on RunnersWorld), cardio (run on my tmill or bike on XT days), Wharton flexibility routine or brief yoga/stretch if time
At lunch on days in office - walk, elliptical or bike (may eventually run outside or on tmill)
At lunch on telework days - chiro appt (1/wk), lower leg strength exercises from chiro (squats, skaters, balance work)
After work M-F - Wharton flexibility routine, sometimes yoga

Sat - long run, Wharton at some point
Sun - run, Wharton at some point, maybe longer yoga from Sage Rountree DVD or her online classes through yoga vibes

You can read more (weekly training logs, etc) on my blog:
readeatwriterun.com

Unknown said...

wow MJ you really hit it hard! I am definitely motivated by your plan. I'll have to go look up Wharton and the mentioned core workouts.

Elizabeth P. said...

There is a great app called Sworkit that I use for strength training. It is all very basic body weight exercises, so I don't need any extra equipment. I get up at 5 am every weekday morning to fit in my workouts. I do the Sworkit workout twice a week for 30-45 mintues and run 3 mornings each week. Then a long run on the weekend. I also often do one hot yoga class each week, but I have fallen off of that wagon and can't decide if I want to get back on it. Sage Rountree's videos are awesome...maybe I should just do that instead.

MJ said...

Links are in my blog posts :)